Monday, August 10, 2009

What makes a good Sales Representative?

You know, it’s pretty hard to tell what makes a good Sales Representative these days. I find that it’s more about Spark and Desire than anything else. Relationships are great, but they only get you so far when you have an internal issue that threatens a deal. I seem to come back to this question every time I have an opening or two to fill. Right now I’m beginning to interview for 1 or 2 Sales positions and I really don’t know which way to go in this market, Title Experience, General Sales Experience or Rookie. I have hired them all in the past and they have all worked, and unfortunately they all have failed as well.

I find that the easy way out is the person with Title or Title Sales Experience. This person usually walks in with a book of business and promises. Unfortunately, I find that they often don’t mesh with my company’s ethics or culture. I end up fighting an uphill battle trying to fit their customer’s into my business model. This can work, but boy is it hard! The upside is that I don’t have to spend a lot of energy training this type of Sales Representative and they already have good connections that can help the bottom line… Today.

Next we have the salesperson. These people have made their living selling everything from pharmaceuticals to widgets. They are used to working and living on commission and aren’t scared away by cold calls or rejection. The problem is that we work in a business that takes years to learn. Shoot, I’ve been in this industry for 13 years and I still learn something new every day. There is a serious learning curve, but it can be overcome by good salesmanship and knowing your limitations. Some of my best hires over the years have come from this category, but also one or two of my biggest failures.

Finally we come to the Rookie. This person maybe just came out of college, maybe their a summer intern, or maybe they just impress me with their ease and spark in a difficult interview setting. Yes, the learning curve is very pronounced and sales techniques can be very hard to learn, yet alone teach. These are drawbacks but talent is talent and it should always be given the opportunity to blossom. I have never shied away from this challenge, but to be sure, there is a greater risk of failure. The upside though, can be downright tremendous!

I will be interviewing all three of these candidates over the coming days and maybe weeks. I’m looking for that spark, ease, and if you will, grace. I don’t believe in the Doughnut Rep, just dropping off goodies and hoping for the best. These are challenging times, and it takes effort and tenacity of will to get the job done. Wish me luck!

Happy Monday… Let’s make this a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment