Thursday, August 6, 2009

Direct to Consumers…

It seems to me that most title agents I talk to seem to think that if the consumers chose their own title company, they would be flush with new title orders. They say, “We can do it better than the big guys.” You know, they may be right… The problem is that in this fast food culture, who chooses the little guy?

Sure, you’ll get some locals who don’t like to support the big, evil machine. That evil machine though, they can afford to advertise. They would be all over the TV, radio and internet. You know where I would be? I would be standing on the corner in a sandwich board with an arrow on my chest, pointing passerbies in for title.

I’m sitting at my desk right now, looking across the street at a new restaurant. I already know that they are done for. They are the 4th different restaurant at that location in the last 2 ½ years. How do they compete with the McDonalds and Burger King right next door?

So, I say thank you to the wonderful people in our industry who want to turn us all into start up restaurants… But I’ll keep things just the way they are! I’ll drum up business by going to the mortgage originators and the real estate attorneys, you enjoy your sandwich boards and people in gorilla costumes waiving to passing cars.

2 comments:

  1. I was where you were 2 years ago. But, if we don't start to control our point of sale - the entire industry will end up answering to the people who sell our product - the real estate agents and mortgage lenders.

    Just like CPG's dealing with Wal*Mart we'll lose the ability to communicate the value of the product, eventually our product and pricing will be someone else's decision.

    I'd rather take my chance with the big, bad, not so efficient underwriters than with "Walmart" anyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree with the point that our industry doesn't sell itself in a cohesive manner. It's a race to the bottom, and we're all losing!

    ReplyDelete