Monday, July 27, 2009

Introduction...

Hello teeming, blogging masses. To the world at large, this may be the most boring blog ever conceived. Then again, who knows? For people in the peculiar Title Insurance industry, maybe some of you will find my thoughts interesting, but it’s hard to imagine who would. Haha.

For a little background, I’m about to celebrate my 30th birthday, but I have been in the Title Insurance industry since I was 17 years old. I started off working for a small title agent in the Chicago Suburbs. I was working after school and weekends doing order entry, recording, office work and basically every low skill job that exists in our industry. When I turned 18 I got my Notary and became a closer. I don’t know how I would have felt if an 18 year old kid walked in to do my closing, but it all worked itself out.

I worked my way through college at three different title agencies, and after school, I found that nothing thrilled me quite like title insurance. Thrilled might be an odd choice of words, but I think it fits. After college I took a position with a National Title Insurance agency and moved from the Chicago area down to St. Louis to take over operations for Missouri, Kansas and Southern Illinois. It was fun while it lasted, but like many companies, we got caught in the subprime meltdown and my operation imploded. Oh well.

I am now the Director of Business Development for a large title agent in the Chicago market and I couldn’t be happier. I sit on a several committees within my state title association and I am an active advocate for our industry. I’ve been in this business for almost 13 years and it has been very good to me, but where are we headed now? National Regulation? National Rates? I’ll explore my thoughts on where we are going in future posts… As for now, back to work!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the blog, Michael. You'll probably find it addicting like I do. And BTW - title insurance is not boring. We're just misunderstood. LOL

    ReplyDelete